Apr 18, 2011

Alderwood Wives Book Club: 3 Reviews

I've been a bad blogger. I hate to throw out excuses, but April has been one busy month so far. We had a few great days of warm weather :) that got us kick-started on rejuvenating our back yard (pictures to come soon), and then when the cold weather came back I could barely motivate myself to sit on the couch and mope.

I'm going to ease back into blogging with an easy post. I'm 3 months behind in book club reviews. So here it goes...

The Book Of NegroesJanuary: The Book Of Negroes, by Lawrence Hill - We were on the fence with this one. Some of us loved it, but most thought it dragged on. As a group we regretted reading it right after A Long Way Gone, since it de-sensitized us to the content. The novel follows the life and journey of an African girl/woman forced into slavery in the South East US.
The writing style is nice, but it's a big book, so if you're a slow reader I'd pass on this one. I give it a 3/5 (I didn't finish it)





Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A NovelFebruary: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel, by Lisa See - This was my first pick for the club. It is one of my favorite books of all time and the best of Lisa See's offering. I think everyone agreed with me so I will safely pass on a 5/5 rating. The story is set in remote 19th-century China and follows a deep friendship of two women who endure footbinding, arranged marriage and social codes of conduct. Each page is filled with foreign mystery, yet feelings true to any culture.




The HelpMarch: The Help, by Kathryn Stockett - Unanimous: Great Read! 3 unforgettable women in Mississippi in the 60's: 2 maids and 1 trust fund cotton farm heiress. The novel is filled with humour and hope, about mothers, daughters, caregivers and friends. Each voice keeps the storyline fresh and has you coming back for more. 4/5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...